Sunday, December 19, 2010

Week Fifteen

Owning Up
Warming up is all the action Donovan McNabb
will see for the remainder of this season.
(Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)


I have never been able to understand why Donovan McNabb catches so much grief from coaches. McNabb was a terrific quarterback in Philadelphia under head coach Andy Reid all while battling many injuries and Terrell Owens, arguably his only elite receiver in his career. Other than the time with Owens, it is hard to say that McNabb has ever had solid receiving. DeSean Jackson is just this year becoming an elite receiver for the Eagles, but that doesn't help McNabb when he is in Washington with a clearly past-his-prime Santana Moss, Anthony Armstrong, and Brandon Banks.

However, McNabb has always put up steady numbers by throwing for well over 3000 yards in seasons when he has played 14 or more games. He also has 230 touchdowns in his 12 seasons compared to 115 interceptions, giving him an exact 2:1 touchdown to interception ratio. It isn't the best, but a lot of teams would take two touchdowns for every interception thrown.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I feel that Donovan McNabb gets a bad rap. Most of us remember when he was pulled by Reid in Philadelphia for the young Kevin Kolb (literally at halftime of a game that was very much in reach; also, symbolically through the trade to Washington in which Kolb gained the Eagles job). Also, earlier this year when entering into the two-minute drill against the Lions, Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan pulled McNabb in favor of one of the NFL's biggest busts Rex Grossman. On Grossman's first play, he was sacked, fumbled, and had the ball returned for a touchdown, ending the 'Skins' chance at a win.

So why now is Shanahan making McNabb his third-string quarterback for the remainder of the season? I am almost all out of answers. Donovan McNabb has always been one of the leagues classiest players and consistently performs well on the field, but somehow he ends up in a bad situation like he is in now. After signing a 5-year extension with the Redskins, Shanahan cannot promise McNabb a spot on the team next year. Therefore, it seems Donovan McNabb will have to either start shopping for a new team or start writing his retirement speech.

Predictions


Last week my wins were down, but I still had one of my better weeks this season. Crazy how those things work out, am I right? I finished last week with a 10-5 record which puts my record for the season at 100-71. Here is what I have lined up this week:

Browns, Cowboys, Texans, Colts, Chiefs, Bills, Eagles, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Saints, Falcons, Raiders, Steelers, Patriots, Bears


p.s. I am very happy with the trade made by my Phoenix Suns. I will miss having Jason Richardson, but I am happy with a solid post presence in Marcin Gortat and the wily veteran Vince Carter in the back-court.

p.p.s. My Ohio Bobcats had a rough day yesterday. Our football team got demolished by Troy in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. Meanwhile, our basketball team suffered a crushing four overtime loss to St. Bonaventure. Rough day for Bobcats all over.

p.p.p.s. For more senseless babble, follow me on Twitter @Bradley_W_Parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment