Sunday, January 23, 2011

NFL Playoffs, Conference Championships

Big Ben is seeking his third ring.
(Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)
Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl? CAN'T WAIT!


Bart Scott has been the butt of all NFL jokes this week even by his own team. His dramatic monologue in his post-game interview after defeating the Patriots left me scratching my head. The win was a big one, yes, but I'm not sure the second round of the playoffs is the best time for a defiant post-game rant. There are still two games to go until the Jets can officially silence the "haters," in my opinion. I think the saying goes: "If you haven't done it then you never did it." The Jets haven't won anything yet.

All jokes aside, there is still a part of me that still does not have confidence in the New York Jets to make it to the Super Bowl. I think I may still be in awe at the fact that the Patriots are no longer in the playoffs. But the Steelers are a team that I think want to take it to the Jets after being shocked by New York on Monday Night Football a few weeks ago. They lost on essentially one play: a 97-yard kick return by Brad Smith to start the game. Of course, there is no telling how the rest of the game would have played out had Smith not returned that kick, but with the Steelers dominating three major offensive statistics (total yards, first downs, and yards per rush) it is acceptable to say that they probably would have won that game.

If Rex Ryan were the Steelers' head coach, this one would be "personal." The Steelers are playing not only for a trip to the Super Bowl, but for revenge. No matter how straight-laced their demeanor, there is a tiny part of every Steeler that wants to avenge that previous loss. I think they will be able to get it done today. Pittsburgh has the best defense in the league, in my opinion, and they have an offense that will be able to score to keep ahead of the Jets for the whole game. We'll be seeing the Steelers in Dallas.

Steelers 31 - Jets 21


Rodgers should be doing this a lot today.
(Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
Cheese Soup(er Bowl)


With one of my Super Bowl picks (the Colts) being knocked out in the very first round, I am down to one. That one is and has been my pick for champion for all of this season. The Green Bay Packers have given me quite a few scares this year with quarterback Aaron Rodgers going down twice with concussions and losing key defenders early in the season including linebacker Nick Barnett.

However, these cheesers have made it to the NFC Championship game to face off against their long-time rival in the Chicago Bears. I think this will be the most compelling of the two games played today due to both teams playing their best football. The Steelers have been better, the Jets have been better, but the Packers and the Bears have not played nearly as well as they are playing right now. Jay Cutler was probably one of the biggest questions coming into this season. Would we see the Cutler of old throwing touchdowns and making big plays or would we see the Cutler of last season throwing countless interceptions? This season and especially as of late we have seen the former. The Packers offense with Rodgers is awesome to watch. Both defenses are stellar with the two top contenders for Defensive Player of the Year in Clay Matthews (GB) and Julius Peppers (CHI). And, of course, there is the electrifying Chicago return man in Devin Hester. All of the weapons will be out for this one.

I try not to be a jinx, but there is no quarterback nor player playing as well as Aaron Rodgers right now, in my opinion. He is firing on all cylinders right now. I think he is the difference in this game. Cutler is playing well, both defenses are amazing, both running games get the job done, but Aaron Rodgers will be the difference. If he plays like he has throughout the playoffs, the Packers are golden. If he struggles, so will the rest of the team. I have confidence that Rodgers will lead Green Bay to the promise land.

Packers 34 - Bears 28


p.s. My playoff record sits at 5-3.

p.p.s. Since nobody cares about the Pro Bowl, I will try to have some NBA coverage next week.

p.p.p.s. Be sure to keep up with my fashion blog Fashion In the Paint.


p.p.p.p.s. For more senseless babble, follow me on Twitter @Bradley_W_Parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment