Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week Twelve

Owning Up


Head coach Marvin Lewis may be in hot water.
(Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
I feel there is a lot of owning up to do, not for me but for my hometown team, the Cincinnati Bengals. What went wrong? Last year was a terrific year for the Bengals as they went undefeated in the AFC North and made it to the playoffs. This year they did not lose too many players other than troubled field goal kicker Shayne Graham (which in all reality was probably for the best). Cincinnati was able to pick up multiple weapons on offense in Terrell Owens, Jordan Shipley, and Jermaine Gresham. Seemingly, the Bengals should have done even better this year with a more high-powered offense to go with that stellar defense of last season. However, as most of us know, that is not how it has turned out.

Cincinnati now sits at 2-9 and the only real positives are the success of TO and the seemingly high draft pick the Bengals will have next April. Now the question for Cincinnati becomes: What do they fix? I think the biggest problems are the men behind the play-calling on offense: Head coach Marvin Lewis and offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has dealt with his fair share of bad luck this season with all of the trouble at the safety position (i.e. injury/age of Roy Williams and injuries Gibril Wilson, Chris Crocker, and Chinedum Ndukwe. Also, injuries to corners Adam Jones and Brandon Gee have not helped.

The trouble is more on the offensive side of the ball. The Bengals' play-calling has been absolutely horrendous this season. The offense has been attempting far too many runs in long-yardage situations. We all know of Carson Palmer's struggles at quarterback. His numbers are not terrible, but he will make just a few throws every game that put the team in a position to lose and leave Cincinnati fans shaking their heads. His play this year has some people thinking that it may be time for a change for the men in stripes, on the sideline and on the field.

Predictions


Those darn Cowboys are starting to play well with Wade Phillips out. I may have to start picking them...or not. Last week was a good one for me despite forgetting completely to pick the Monday Night Game. My record for Week Eleven was 10-4 which leaves my season record at 70-58. I do believe I will go with the same strategy as last week to see if I can build a sizable streak. Here are my winners for this week:

Packers, Steelers, Browns, Giants, Redskins, Texans, Raiders, Chiefs, Eagles, Rams, Ravens, Colts, 49ers


p.s. Be sure to listen in this Saturday as I get back on the mic for Ross High School basketball as the Rams take on the other Rams from Badin. I would tell you who I am announcing alongside, but I do not know yet. I will keep you posted. Catch all of the action on ross.localsportsradio.com.

p.p.s. My Ohio Bobcats lost the MAC East this weekend. 'Tis a sad day in Athens when we give up the conference title to Miami.

p.p.p.s. How do you like my new design? I am still working on it.

p.p.p.p.s. For more senseless babble, follow me on Twitter. twitter.com/bradley_w_parks

No comments:

Post a Comment