Monday, October 18, 2010

Owning Up

Owning Up (For Week Six)


Like I said in my last post, Week Five was atrocious as far as my picks are concerned. What went wrong? I could not tell you. I just know whatever could have gone wrong for me did. A bad week it was.

Therefore, I cannot really discuss my mistakes in this edition of "Owning Up" in a concise manner. I will discuss, however, another area where I need to own up: Ohio State v. Wisconsin.

Yes, my dearly beloved Buckeyes took their yearly fall this week to Wisconsin. Did I want it to happen? Heck no. Did I figure it would happen? Yes, at some point. Ohio State is always bound to lose one big game every year, eliminating their shot at the BCS title. I think many fans have come to terms with this, however.

The one thing that bothers me is the large amount of haters. I understand that not everyone is an Ohio State Buckeye fan. What I don't understand is the hypocrisy of some fans in Ohio. I catch a high amount of crap from Cincinnati Reds fans for liking the St. Louis Cardinals. "Why don't you like the Reds? You're from Cincinnati!" "What is wrong with you?" "Traitor!" Those are typical comments I hear for my MLB fandom.

The hypocrisy comes in with the amount of people who dislike Ohio State. It is clear that OSU is Ohio's team as far as football is concerned. However, there are tons of fans who jump all over Ohio State when they lose (such as this week). They talk about how overrated the Buckeyes are, how they suck, etc. Many cheer for Texas or the school up north. And, of course, there are those "die-hard" Cincinnati Bearcats fans. Baloney. Nobody gave a care about UC football until that freakish season last year. Now that the Cats are back to the cellar, nobody cares once again.

If readers take anything away from this senseless babble I've written this week, it is this: Stick to one philosophy. If you claim to be a hometown or homestate fan, be consistent. I get slammed for being an Ohio State fan, when it is one of the few home teams I cheer for. It seems backwards. People antagonize me for not cheering for the home team, but when I do cheer for a home team (OSU) I still get beat with a stick.

But I'm not one to complain, so keep the hate coming, homers! It's what I feed off of.

p.s. How about those Ohio Bobcats? Big win on homecoming for my school!

p.p.s. For more senseless babble, follow me on twitter. twitter.com/bradley_w_parks

No comments:

Post a Comment